The goals and objectives of MAPSS are based on the recognition of the soil mantle as a set of natural bodies and that the intelligent use of this natural resource is an obligation of professional soil scientists. The major objectives of MAPSS are to:
1. Promote the wise use of soil resources.
2. Increase the public awareness and understanding of soil science.
3. Promote communication between soil scientists and other environmental professionals.
4. Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas, views and information related to soil science.
5. Encourage and promote high standards of ethical conduct and education among soil scientists.